US Secretary of State, John Kerry, will be visiting Burma on August 10. A week earlier, 28 Congresspersons wrote to Mr. Kerry to warn Burma that if the genocide against the Muslim minority does not stop, relations between USA and Burma would be seriously damaged. Now the number of lawmakers demanding the same has risen to 72.
Points to Address:
- Close all concentration camps
- Restore Rohingya citizenship, since they are indigenous people living in their ancestral land
- Grant permission to all humanitarian relief organizations to provide basic necessities such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care, and education
Achievements through the efforts of Burma Task Force USA
Burma Task Force USA is a coalition of several Muslim organizations and activists who previously worked together for Bosnia and Kosova Task Force to stop genocide in those countries. The untiring efforts of this organization has contributed a lot toward creating awareness of this genocide within the international community which is being completely blacked out by the mainstream media.
In addition to the letters by 72 Congressperson to Secretary Kerry, there are four more major landmark successes achieved by Burma Task Force since last Ramadan for Burmese Muslims, Alhumdulilah.
(1) The U.S. House of Representatives passed Resolution 418 demanding the Burmese government to restore the citizenship of the Rohingya people. The U.S. is the only country in the world which has done so. It is a significant step in stopping the genocide. The Rohingya were stripped of their citizenship in 1982, despite having lived for generations in Burma in their ancestoral lands.
(2) The “10 minutes a day” Action Alert campaigns by Burma Taask Force have been successful in preventing at least 3 planned attacks or by limiting the damage of an ongoing attack. As soon as we hear from allies that something is about to happen or has started, we start applying pressure on Burmese government through phone calls. We have observed that the Burmese government is sensitive to negative publicity. It steps in to stop violence, which provides temporary relief to the Muslim community; though, it must be noted, the government still does not arrest the hate mongers who start these attacks.
(3) U.S. media about Burma has improved. It no longer uses the false, lazy statement that it is a “conflict between” or “riot between Muslims and Buddhists.” It took us literally hundreds of letters and constant pressure to achieve this success. Now, it is clearly seen as one-sided attacks by the extremists against Muslims.
(4) International, Interfaith and nonprofit partners are also paying more attention.
This is a Genocide!
It is critical that Secretary Kerry, and Americans in general, realize that this is a genocide. What's happening to the Muslim minority in Burma is no different from Gaza or the West Bank. Five million Muslims used to live in Burma. Today, there are only three million.
The untiring efforts of the Burma Task Force USA has contributed a lot toward creating awareness of this genocide within the international community, a genocide which is being completely blacked out by the mainstream media. The fact that many rights activists are distracted from the apartheid and mass murders against the Rohingyas because of a similar situation in Palestine has further helped the media to conceal this genocide. Burma Task Force USA is a coalition of several Muslim organizations and activists who previously worked together for Bosnia and Kosova Task Force to stop genocide in those countries.
Please keep the Rohingya Muslims in your prayers. It's impossible to confirm who is suffering more - the Rohingyas or the Palestinians or the Syrians or the Iraqis? They are all under attack. The only difference is that the Rohingyas are under attack by their government while the others are being attacked by foreign invaders.
Source of info.
NOT TO FORGET, GAZA WAS THE FIRST COMMUNITY TO DEMONSTRATE AGAINST THIS GENOCIDE IN BURMA IN JUNE 2012.